How it all started
Music Support has been operating as a charity since April 2016, and as a registered charity since November 2016.
Music Support exists because of the experiences of our founders and trustees. Our founders are veterans of the music industry and are all in recovery themselves, from various mental health and addiction issues. They all suffered alone with their problems, and saw countless colleagues, friends and heroes lose their careers, families and even their lives to poor mental health and/or addiction. They decided that enough was enough: a personal and confidential support service provider that understood the specific needs and problems of the music industry was necessary.
The music industry is one of the greatest, most creative and fun industries that anybody can work in. Our aim is not to take the fun out of the industry, but to make sure that there is sufficient support open to anybody working in the industry who needs help once the fun stops.
We are not affiliated with any provider or treatment centre, although we have developed fantastic relationships with excellent clinicians and care providers to whom we will signpost our clients. No issue is too large or too small to be outside of our area of operation. We welcome the call of anybody working in the UK music industry who needs any sort of support.
Our mission at Music Support is to make sure that nobody in the UK music industry is left to be affected alone with mental ill-health or addiction via our support services and to facilitate prevention and earlier intervention through education, training and workshops.
We believe that those in our industry who are susceptible to mental ill-health and/or addiction are particularly vulnerable due to the environments, lifestyles and stresses that exist within.
Wherever in the industry the individual may be, stigmas surrounding these conditions are still so strong that they can go ignored, unrecognised or untreated until it is too late. We believe that everybody is entitled to confidential, empathetic and non-judgemental support and that the industry should have access to the highest quality of educational workshops and training, delivered professionally and ethically by highly qualified personnel.
Music Support is run by people from the music industry, for people who work in music and live events.
- Inclusion. Music Support is open to everyone in the industry regardless of background, role or music genre.
- Safety. We create a confidential environment, and observe the highest standards of personal data protection and governance
- Courage. We’re proud to stand for who we are and what we believe in and support others to do the same
- Passion. We believe in the power of transformational change because we have experienced it in our own lives
- Innovation. We find new solutions to addressing mental health and addiction problems in the music industry
- Understanding. We are shaped by our experience of the unique pressures wrought by our industry